Thursday, June 5, 2008

Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot Pie

My sister called me today and told me that we hadn't talked in so long. She said it probably was because even though we talked a week ago, I haven't been posting anything recently. So here I go.

Last night about 6:30 I decided that I really wanted chicken pot pie. I don't know why I love it so much, but for me it is a total comfort food. It is just so yummy, and realistically it is the only time I eat carrots, peas or green beans with any sort of relish. I am laughing right now at how ambiguous that last sentence was . . . you know because relish is a food product, but I didn't mean it that way. I know you are laughing to, just probably at how dumb I am. It also reminds me of college and Lynn and I saying, "Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie," because it was used on one of the shows we watched.

So, at 6:32 I realize that all but two of the ingredients that I need for the chicken pot pie are in the freezer, which is good since I want to clean out the freezer, but bad because it means they are frozen. What a weird connection things in the freezer being frozen. Mind boggling.

Now comes one of my pet peeves in making food: I hate defrosting meat in the microwave. It just bothers me that it doesn't equally defrost and then some of the chicken starts to cook even though parts are still frozen; it just majorly weirds me out.

I turn on the oven and place the pie crust and the cream cheese on the stove top to defrost (my back burner is the vent for the oven or something, so it gets warm, so I figured that would be good for the cream cheese, while the stove top gets warm whenever I use a burner which would hopefully work for the pie crust).

I trek downstairs. Let me explain, well over a year ago I decided to remove my microwave from my kitchen for four reasons: I love my toaster oven, making things in the microwave isn't the best nutritionally, I rarely used the microwave, and the microwave took up a whole counter! I make the basement journey probably once a week, so it really doesn't bother me, and whenever I have a twinge of thinking I am crazy, I just think about the extra exercise I am getting due to my idiosyncrasies and all the extra counter space I have. I plug in the micro (do you know how much extra electricity is used by appliances that are just plugged in?), and start to defrost the chicken.

To avoid the play by play of the next 30 minutes, I'll just tell you that I was enjoying my chicken pot pie at 8:00. Is it bad that since 8 o'clock last night I have eaten half of a 9 inch pie? I mean having chicken pot pie for breakfast is atypical, but it's so yummy. And realistically it is better than my usual breakfast of chocolate.

2 comments:

Christensen 5 said...

sounds yummy... and thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

1. you put green beans in your chicken pot pie?

2. i like to defrost meat in warm water, its actually just as quick, and not nearly as creepy, as using a microwave.

3. i ate chicken and vegetable stir fry for breakfast on wednesday.

4. i kind of like it when you forget to post because then i don't feel as bad about neglecting my blog.