Friday, June 6, 2008

Mother/daughter bonding

The countdown to my sister and nephew coming is in neon lights at my parents' house. Preparations are well under way. It is a good thing royalty will never come to our house, I can't imagine how we all could be on higher alert.

Since I had a gap between subbing and my other job, I went to my parents' house to say hi. My mom told me she would be right down, but I figured it would be a good daughterly/sisterly move to go upstairs and help. I found my mother among wood, screws, casters and tons of instructions. Super Alli to the rescue.

I have a little known fetish - I love putting things together. I remember my sister and I putting her whole library together - all 9 book shelves. Last fall I had the joy of creating a dresser for my spare room from a bunch of pieces of wood and a sheet of instructions. Maybe this love goes back to the first day I stepped in IKEA and saw that the world was filled with possibilities if you are only willing to read instructions and invest in a screwdriver.

Less than an hour later my mom and I were done with the assembly. All that needs to be done is to put the sheets on and Derek has his very own Wisconsin crib. My next baby related tasks are to clean my car enough so that Derek won't be exposed to every known germ in the tri-state area and install the car seat (my sister even got a black-and-white cow cover in honor of all our neighbors).

1 comment:

Christensen 5 said...

Derek and I both appreciate all the preparations that are underway. We are SO excited. Well mommy is excited and Derek is excited that mommy is excited. Well you get my drift. Lucky is very very sad. She wants to come too... but I am not that crazy. We all love you lots and lots :)