Friday, April 25, 2008

Gym Chutzpah

After subbing today, I decided that I was going to quit the gym. I just am not a gym sort of girl. I mean if it is actually warm here in WI, I want to be outside, and if not, I need an extra layer of fat to keep me warm in the snow.

I parked at the gym and headed towards the door. Now my gym isn't always staffed, but I knew that the trainer often was there in the early afternoon. I also have seen him interact with other quitters, so I thought I might have a chance. So, as I was walking past the doors, I was sneaking a peak inside to see if he was there. I saw him, and only then realized that it probably looked like I was checking him out. Which in all honesty I have done while I have been there exercising.

I used my card to enter, and strode right over to him passing a person who actually uses the gym and was hot - both in the sweaty sense and physical attractiveness. I stayed focused, who cares if this hot guy I just passed works out here, to foster a relationship, I would have to work out. Eyes on the prize I stepped up to the trainer and in a fashion totally atypical of me, I said exactly what I wanted to say, "Can I talk to you about quitting?"

He just smiled, making me recall the other times he has been there while I was working out. I think his smile was repressing his inner thought of: Yeah, I've seen you work out a couple of times, it really wasn't going well. Maybe you just aren't cut out to exercise. Maybe you should move to Alaska where a parka would be every day wear. It might at least mask your colossal thighs. Instead, he got up and handed me a form of termination.

"So, if I sign this today, I will be done as of May 31st?"

"Yeah, but make sure you hold on to your card."

"Because then I can just rejoin in September if I want to without paying the extra fee?"

"Exactly."

After signing with an extra bit of flourish, I handed him my form, "I just couldn't find a time that worked out for me."

"It's really hard in winter to want to leave your house."

I could've done a quick workout before heading to my other job, but I figured that I shouldn't bother, I just got everything I wanted, why would I ruin it. Plus, I had to contemplate why I can't just tell people what I want in my every day life. Really, why can't I just stride in with confidence in other situations? Why does my non-existent confidence only surface to help me quit?

4 comments:

Christensen 5 said...

Good job.. I am proud of you. Way to be assertive!

Jill Phillips said...

Have you considered a career in writing? You crack me up, and make the ordinary sound so poetic! I'm guessing even your taxes are a work of art. ;) -Jilly

Anonymous said...

i think your final thought is incredibly profound.

Tom said...

Your story of confidence would have been much better if you, on your way out the door, declared, "You're hot," to the attractive man.

Most likely, the attractive gym-goer is a plant, meant to draw in weak women who already feel like sexiness is directly proportional to the proportion of waist size to bust size.