Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Phone Calls

Anyone with a baby will acknowledge that their lives have significantly changed. Even though I don't have a baby of my own, I have found one way my life has changed having a nephew.

The last couple of times I have talked to my sister have been pretty funny. The topics range from new teeth to doggie antics. My sister has no shortage of stories with the two doggies and little boy.

I usually know how the conversation is going to go based on what I hear in the background. If Derek is happy screaming, we will talk for a while with me repeatedly asking my sister what. If Derek is unhappy screaming, Jen and I will talk while she ever so often tells Derek, "You need to go to bed, monkey." If there is barking in the background, the topic will go to what the doggies are barking about. If my sister says, "Oh, this is just not right," I know that our conversation will soon be ending because Derek has an especially disgusting diaper. If Mike is talking to Jen in the background and laughing, he is probably trying to give another perspective on the conversation. And if Mike is repeated calling my sister, it isn't because he is trying to interrupt her call as much as he needs her help because he is bleeding,

Thus, when I call my sister, I never know what I am going to hear about, and when I hear nothing in the background, I start to worry until Jen tells me Derek is taking a nap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my favorite thing to hear in the background of my brother's house is "what are you doing?" another good one is "where did (child's name here) go?"

Christensen 5 said...

I am glad we are able to amuse you. Honestly, thanks for your patience in all this. You are an awesome auntie!